Teal'c's Jaffa mentor on Stargate SG-1. Pronounced BRAY-tack.

Like Teal'c, Bra'tac is a traitor amongst the Goa'uld soldiers. Also like Teal'c, he hails from the planet Chulak and carries a Goa'uld symbiote, the latter of which provides him with an enhanced immune system and almost perfect health. (As of episode #301, Into the Fire, he was 135 years old.)

The Bra'tac character is a recurring one, appearing two or three times each season. Played by actor Tony Amendola, Bra'tac was first introduced in episode 111, Bloodlines, when he helped Teal'c locate his missing family in the hopes of preventing his son's implantation with a Gou'ald larva. He later appeared in Within the Serpent's Grasp Part 2 (episode 201), where he helped the SG-1 team save Earth from attack by Goa'uld spaceships. Not a terrible thing to have on one's résumé, I suppose.

Actor Amendola clearly enjoys playing his character. In late 2002, while it was still questionable whether the 6th season of Stargate SG-1 was going to be its last (it wasn't), Amendola was interviewed by the web radio program Interstellar Transmissions (www.interstellar-transmissons.com), saying:

I’m the guy who doesn’t want Stargate to end...If I had my wish, and I’ve spoken to Hank Cohen, the head of MGM Television Entertainment, in fact jokingly got on my knees, and asked him, "Please, don’t end Stargate!"
Fortunately for Amendola, no such pleas where necessary. Stargate SG-1 was picked up by the Sci-Fi channel in November for a 7th season, with taping set to begin in January 2003.