Vero Beach, FL is located about halfway down the state's east coast. It's population is roughly 77,000. It's biggest employer is Indian River Memorial Hospital. There is also nothing to do within 40 miles. Vero Beach is located approx. equidistant between Orlando (to the north-west) and West Palm Beach (to the south-east). The problem is, you have to be willing to drive 1.5 hours to get to either one.

Vero Beach has a small mall, with a Sears, JCPenney, Burdines, and Dillards. There are malls that are slightly larger (but are still small by most standards) in Melbourne (north) and Jensen Beach (south). The town consists almost entirely of housing communities, most of them gated. These communities usually have names like "Winding Oak Estates" or something like that. It is basically a mixture between a yuppy hellhole and a retirement community.

There is a sense of tradition here as proven by the city's building code which does not allow any buildings more than 3 or 4 stories high. Also, buildings can only be painted in pastel or muted colors. The beach is nice but there is no boardwalk. According to the people who have lived here all their lives, the town was only orange groves until a decade or two ago. In addition, Vero Beach is also home to Piper, a flight school and airplane manufacturer.