A word to the wise:

One really smart way to curtail the chances of someone else seeing your porn collection is to use newsgroups (there's thousands of them devoted to porn) instead of the WWW when looking for whatever gets your rocks off.

Another is to make seemingly innocent folder names for the directories you do keep your computer porn collection in. Good suggestions are "killfile," "market data," "projects" and just about any day of the week (Friday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc.). A folder name that even remotely ties in with sexuality will stand out like a sore thumb. A folder named "heinlein," however, will just seem like uninteresting personal crap that no one would be inclined to look at anyway.

If you use Morpheus or some other distributed network service, it's wise to move files, pictures, movies and whatever else into a separate folder- at least the ultra-sensitive stuff that you wouldn't want anyone to look at. When using newsgroups, move downloaded files out of your news reader's default downloads folder into another folder, too.

The really iffy situation I pray I never have to deal with is wiping or cleaning computer systems of the recently deceased. I mean, think about it. When you're gone, exactly who is going to rummage around in your system to look for important information such as typed wills, legal documents, contracts, unfinished books or e-mail addresses of your friends who should be notified of your demise? Naturally, a family member will be faced with that task, because such potentially sensitive information should be viewed by a close family member. Would you like your 16-year-old little brother to happen upon an aspect of your life that you'd rather not be known to anyone in your family? How about your wife? Or your kids?

I've been thinking about that one for a long, long time. I've actually considered developing a small program that, when activated, will take care of that for you and save those we leave behind such a headache. I'd call it something like "DataInsure" or "Life Saver" or something equally mundane. It would allow the system's owner to tag certain folders for immediate deletion, calling up typed wills and other such minutae. Details would have to be seen to in order to make it work perfectly, but such software could definitely come in handy for those who have "something" to hide after they've passed away.

Imagine going through your recently deceased father's computer system and finding out, in the worst way possible, that he had a secret penchant for men in tights or incest stories. Sure, he won't be around to catch hell for it, but his memory might be a bit tarnished after such a discovery.