Today was something of a special day: my girlfriend's 19th birthday. I deliver pizzas for a living, so I don't exactly have copious amounts of money to throw around, but I felt that I should at least do something for her. Jewelry was right out and so were clothes- too expensive. The only thing that came to mind, on short notice, was the one thing that almost anyone can appreciate: food. And not just any food, either, Japanese food, her favorite. There's a little hole-in-the-wall place just a block from Cafe Coco, where we usually hang out, and their California Rolls are pretty damn good (though, we both agreed that putting wasabi in the rolls themselves might have been a bit much, but they did taste damn good!). It wasn't much, but it was all I could do with such meager means- it was both good and bad fortune that I was able to get off work so early, so that I could share her special day with her. If I'd stayed at work longer, I could have made more money from deliveries, but I would have had less time to spend with her and the day would have turned out far less interesting, I believe.

We adjourned back to Coco for a while, to read, write and relax for a bit and collect our thoughts about what we could do with no money and no motivation. We both wanted to do something, but what that something proved fairly elusive. Instead, we resigned ourselves to yet another same-ol' night of CocoNut life. She's leaving to go to college quite some distance away soon, which is ultimately good for her, I think, but since she's leaving, our time together grows shorter with every passing day. We've gotten into a habit, kinda, of loaning books to each other. She's the one who turned me on to Neal Stephenson and William Gibson and I'm trying to turn her on to Robert Heinlein. Today, when I picked her up, she handed me Gibson's "Neuromancer", which I've just started reading and already find thoroughly enjoyable just three chapters into it. She's still reading Heinlein's "To Sail Beyond the Sunset", going on the third week now (fourth?)- college life/work has whittled her personal life down to nearly nothing these days, so reading for pure personal enjoyment is something of a feat for her.

About an hour or so after dinner, some friends stopped at our table and one of them, Ben, announced that his violin had finally been repaired. He invited us into the parking lot and listen to him play it some, which we gladly did. My girlfriend plays the flute with some degree of accomplishment and got to talking with Ben about music when, all of a sudden, Ben suggested going to Dragon Park and the two of them playing their instruments under the lights, in the dark of night, which sounded like a fun way to finish her birthday out. Another friend of ours, Bethany, joined us and we all four of us took up a small plot of land at the park in preparation for an evening with classical music. Mozart, Berliose, Bach... minor snippets of each of those composers and other stuff that I couldn't place while I read the book that had been loaned to me, reclining against one of the spines on the ceramic dragon, which Dragon Park is known for. I burned through those chapters like I was a match and the pages had been doused with gasoline- flip, flip, flip. The stuff is damn good.

A short while later, we tired of doing our own things and settled into conversation. Topics ranged from sweetly romantic to absurdly vulgar, but all of it was fun and lighthearted.

That big day, the day she finally checks out of Nashville for the last time, still hangs over both our heads. What will we do? What will become of our relationship? What will we decide? I know that I love her- maybe not in love, but I do love her. I know that I really enjoy being in her company, more so than many other people in my life. I know that I will miss her and that even now, when I'm thinking about her, I wish she was close by to talk with or simply share the still of night in solitude. More than a mere friend, she's fast becoming a companion to me, which is a station that I reserve for very special people, people I can stand for more than ten minutes. What will tomorrow bring?