In the possible last State of the Union address for George W. Bush, there was the mention of a constitutional ammendment to define marriage as a union between a male and a female. Currently there is a joint resolution in Congress being debated and today July 14, 2004 being voted on.

This possible ammedment has received lots of debate and also has divided party lines, in some cases even divided within the party. Democrats view this current discussion as motivated soley for political gain in an election year. The debate and vote would supposedly force Kerry and Edwards to vote or make a decision on the issue.

Amongst Republicans they are divided on the issue as well. In fact, Dick Cheney and his wife disagree on this issue was well. Some people view this as a only a state issue and not something the country's consitution should focus on.

Currently the resolution lacks the needed votes to pass, the two-thirds majority. In fact, it lacks even a majority. Below is the full text thanks to thomas.loc.gov.

SJ 40 PCS

Calendar No. 620
108th CONGRESS
2d Session
S. J. RES. 40

Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES
July 7, 2004
Mr. ALLARD (for himself, Mr. BROWNBACK, Mr. COCHRAN, Mr. ENZI, Mr. FITZGERALD, Mr. FRIST, Mr. HATCH, Mrs. HUTCHISON, Mr. INHOFE, Mr. KYL, Mr. LOTT, Mr. MCCONNELL, Mr. MILLER, Mr. SANTORUM, Mr. SESSIONS, Mr. SHELBY, Mr. TALENT, Mr. CRAPO, and Mr. CRAIG) introduced the following joint resolution ; which was read the first time

July 8, 2004
Read the second time and placed on the calendar


JOINT RESOLUTION
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage.
Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, (two-thirds of each House concurring therein), That the following article is proposed as an amendment to the Constitution of the United States, which shall be valid to all intents and purposes as part of the Constitution when ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several States:

`Article--
`SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
`This Article may be cited as the `Federal Marriage Amendment'.
`SECTION 2. MARRIAGE AMENDMENT.
`Marriage in the United States shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman.'.
Calendar No. 620

108th CONGRESS
2d Session
S. J. RES. 40

JOINT RESOLUTION
Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States relating to marriage.