Chocolate Ravioli

This black-and-white Bounty Bar-inspired ravioli utilises three of my greatest passions: fresh pasta, chocolate and cheese. It was the brainchild of a cold, lonely afternoon, the kind where I thought to myself, “Why can’t I have pasta for dessert? What would happen if I put chocolate in the pasta?” Before I knew it, the contents of the kitchen had transcended their individual Tupperware containers and formed a pile of exquisitely formed, magnificently creamy chocolate pillows.

My basic pasta recipe is an amalgam of Jamie Oliver’s ingredients and sneff’s methods. You could use sneff’s pasta recipe if you preferred. I do not suggest this recipe to people who do not have a pasta roller, simply because it is so time consuming. To make ravioli as an amateur takes the best part of a morning. My ingredients are listed by metric volume.

Ingredients for Pasta

Ingredients for Filling

For Ravioli

  • 1 egg white

Following the wise instructions of sneff, throw all your pasta ingredients in the food processor, then set aside for an hour or so to… do whatever it does that makes the pasta soft and lovely. After this, roll out according to your preferred method, using a roller or the instructions in Rolling out fresh pasta. Roll your pasta into long sheets.

After cleaning out your food processor, throw the filling ingredients in there and mix them up a bit.

Using a ravioli cutter, pizza roller or sharp knife, score the pasta sheets into big squares 5cm x 5cm. Eat the leftover edge pieces now or cook them later to scoff by yourself. Onto every second square, place about a tablespoon (20mL) of filling. Brush the edges of each filled square with egg white and place another square on top, carefully sealing all the edges. It’s extremely important – vital – to seal the edges of ravioli, otherwise the filling will come out during cooking.

To cook, place ravioli carefully in a large pot containing at least 1 Litre of boiling water and a little oil. Boil for 8 – 10 minutes. Lift ravioli out with a slotted spoon and, again carefully, toss in a little oil.

I served these with pureed berries for dessert. For black-and-white purposes, you could use fresh (single) cream or maybe coconut cream. Serves 4 impressed guests or one smug cook.