Yes, the ingredients for this dip look pretty odd, but serve it at your next party and watch your guests scarf it down. It tastes great, and people will have fun trying to figure out how you made it - very few will guess that the main ingredient is cheese.

This recipe is the brainchild of Lib Wilhelm,1 a famous caterer for over 40 years in Roanoke, Virginia. It was always one of her most requested selections at receptions, yet she was generous about sharing the recipe. Local cooks make it at home to rave reviews. Often nicknamed "Junior League Cheese Slaw," this dip was included in cookbooks sold by the Junior League of Roanoke Valley.

Lib Wilhelm's Famous Cheese Slaw Dip

1 pound Swiss cheese (do not use pre-shredded cheese)
1 bunch green onions
1/2 cup pickled mild banana peppers
1/2 cup pickled jalapeño peppers
Hellman's or Duke's mayonnaise (no Miracle Whip, please!)

1 head purple cabbage (optional)
Large, scoop-type corn chips

Coarsely grate the swiss cheese and place in a large mixing bowl. Chop or snip the green tops of the onions into rounds about 1/8-inch wide and add to the cheese. Slice the jalapeño and banana peppers in half, remove seeds, and add to cheese and onions. Stir all ingredients together, then add just enough mayo to bind the mixture - you don't want it to look like cheese suspended in mayonnaise. Refrigerate overnight or up to one week (so says the recipe, it's never sat in my fridge for a week).

Traditionally, this is served in a cabbage head - it's a nice presentation and adds to the illusion the dip is "slaw." Just hollow out the center of the cabbage, fold back the leaves, and fill with dip. Put the filled cabbage on a dinner-sized plate and surround with chips for dipping.

1For more information about Lib Wilhelm and her career: Remembering Roanoke's Lib Wilhelm, April 16, 2008, Roanoke.com