All parts of this HTML guide for Everything 2 include:
(all chapters)   |   Overview/Contents/Index   |   Tags and Starting New Lines   |   Character Formatting   |   Special Characters   |   Lists   |   Giving Credit Where Credit is Due   |   Miscellaneous Tags   |   EOF: Index and Information   |   Tables   |   (Quick Start)


3: Special Characters



3.1: Special Normal Characters

If you've been experimenting with drugs, I mean, HTML, you may have been having trouble displaying things like a less-than sign, < . There is a simple reason for, and solution to, that problem.
The reason: < and > are reserved for denoting a tag (that should be obvious enough by now) and & starts a character entity reference. What is that, you ask? Well, just read on for an answer...

These character entities allow numerous symbols to be inserted into normally ASCII-only HTML files. Always use these entities instead of just typing them:

  • &amp;   to show   &   (ampersand)
  • &lt;    to show   <   (less than)
  • &gt;    to show   >   (greater than)

     You may find &nbsp; useful when spacing is important. For example, I started this paragraph with "&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;" to give the first line a slight indentation. I also stuck in several non-breaking spaces in the above unordered list to align the elements better.



3.2: Using square brackets in Everything

A specific "problem" with Everything is the inability to insert the square brackets, [ and ], without forming a link. The best way that I've found to deal with this by using

  • &#91;   to show   [   (left/opening square bracket)
  • &#93;   to show   ]   (right/closing square bracket) (this generally isn't needed, but makes runaway links easier to spot, and provides balance with the required way to escape in open square bracket)



3.3: Math symbols

There are many other cool symbols you can include using character entities, like ² ³ (superscript 2 (&sup2;) and 3 (&sup3;)), α × β ÷ γ ∫ δ ‾ ◊ ‰ € ∇ , but not all browsers support all these characters, so you may want to just stick with & < > [ ] .
Of course, if you're feeling adventurous, a full list of character entities allowed in HTML 4 is available from the W3C at
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/entities.html
and in the writeup HTML symbol reference.


previous: Chapter 2: Character Formatting     |     next: Chapter 4: Lists