William Ronald Reid (1920-1998)
One of Canada's most celebrated and accomplished artists. Also one of the finest artists who have worked in the tradition of the First Nations people.

Reid journeyed to Skidegate in Haida Gwaii at the age of 23 to meet his maternal grandfather Charles Gladstone, where he was first introduced to the Haida way of life. Subsequently, he began to study Northwest Coast art during visits to the Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto. Reid also studied Haida art in books and in other museums, while studying jewellery making and design at Ryerson Technical Institute. Reid then moved to British Columbia to pursue a career as an artist and collaborated on a multitude of projects that revolved around Haida culture and art.

The media Reid worked in included cedar, precious metals, bronze, argillite and ink on paper. His works ranged from engraved gold jewellery to massive bronze sculptures.

Reid’s works are now displayed in private museum and gallery collections throughout the world. One significant work, The Raven and the First Men (a yellow-cedar sculpture) can be seen in the University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology. The Spirit of Haida Gwaii, a bronze sculpture depicting a Haida canoe filled with Bear, Raven, Eagle, Frog, Man and other creatures was commissioned for the Canadian Embassy in Washington, D.C. A jade-coloured replica of this sculpture can be seen in the new international terminal of the Vancouver International Airport.

In addition, Reid is the author of Out of the Silence, The Raven Steals the Light with Robert Bringhurst, and with Bill Holm, Indian Art of the Northwest Coast: A Dialogue on Craftsmanship and Aesthetics.