Well,...

Mike came and woke me up at 7 am today. He arranged for a bunch of us to go to his church up in Harriman and surprise his family there. So we all bundled into two cars and went on our way.

Turns out their church is one of those old, tiny ones, populated almost entirely by old people; the eight of us were the youngest ones there, except for three little kids and Mike's two sibs. We made up a sizeable chunk of the congregation as well, and ended up commandeering the Sabbath school lesson with our song service (two guitars, two theology majors, and hey, we're qualified...) On our way out we accidentally left one of us behind, but luckily didn't get too far before we realized it.

So we get home to Mike's house... they play a lot of music there. They have this piano-type keyboard and huge speakers and stuff, and they were having a lot of fun with it, but...

One guy played at the piano. His playing was technically fine but it felt like a dead thing. Everything else turned to noise and felt empty. I wanted to shout at him, "Get away from the piano already! I can't hear your souls anymore!" but of course I couldn't, I'm not that strong;... I had to sit through it with my fingers in my ears until he lost interest... I thought he'd never quit...

...and we come home, and it's already near dark-time. Jimmy is waiting for us out in the parking lot, I don't know why he didn't come with us, but there it is. We put the live scorpions away (I didn't mention them? We had brought them for the children's story at church) and looked for something else to do. Someone (dunno who) mentioned donuts in the Student Center, so we dashed off for it. Student Center's all closed up and locked off, so we try to come in through the cafeteria, through the elevator, no luck... I look at a calendar, and looks like we have to wait till 9 for "games, movie, popcorn". We spend the remaining time jumping over fences and stuff.

So we arrive early; they're setting up the popcorn machine and the, ah... whatchamacallit that is like a cup of crushed ice with wacky flavoring in it? Well, the wacky flavoring was some kind of mix from concentrate and was ghastly--they were told it was ready-to-use. So that was a botched job. Jimmy was rowdy, he wrestled me to the ground several times (which I suppose is karmic payback for me doing the same thing to Mike's brother earlier today).

The movie turned out to be the animated version of The King and I. It was all right--I liked the king's cat--but the villain (the stereotypical evil vizier) was.. well.. boring. Someone commented that he was no Jafar, and that would be a pretty reasonable description. Most people walked away with a bad opinion of it, but I liked it.

Anyway, that pretty much finishes off that day. (Muke ticks a checkbox and sidles back into the jungle...)