Town in Perthshire, Scotland. Situated about 12 miles from Perth, this is the smallest cathedral city in Scotland. It lies on one of the banks of the river Tay, Scotland's longest river, with the Victorian village of Birnam on the opposite bank. The Thomas Telford bridge joins the two banks.

In the town itself, you can find the Beatrix Potter garden - it is said that much of her inspiration for her books came from her holidays in the highlands around Dunkeld. You can also see the 'little houses' - historic terraced cottages restored and owned privately. These are on the road to the left at the main crossroads. Following this road down leads you to a war memorial in a square, with the ACF drill hall to the left and a church in front. To the right is a pathway leading to a park. Following through this park, you will find the 17th century cathedral which gives Dunkeld its status as a city. At night, it is floodlit and looks positively Shakespearian.

Returning to the crossroads, if you had followed straight on, you would have found two competing 'fast food' outlets - the established fish and chips shop opposite the new and trendy, 1950's style snack bar. The latter boasts a marquee made from LEDs, although both do an excellent line in haggis and chips.

Around Dunkeld are some of the most beautiful green hills in Scotland - I recommend Birnam Hill - which is actually on the Dunkeld side of the river - as a good hill from which to survey the landscape. Be warned, however, that it is over 300 ft. high and has a difficult descent.

Nightlife in Dunkeld is somewhat lacking, although those crazy guys in the snack bar know how to throw a party into the early hours of the evening, and there are occasional summer concerts at the cathedral.

Not far from Dunkeld, you will find Crieff - the capital of Strathearn which hosts its own highland games, presided over by none other than Mr. Ewan McGregor - Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars-Episode 1, and star of many other, much better, films.

If you do visit, do go walking - the views are amazing. And whatever you do, you must sample the haggis and chips!