Bondi Beach (pron BOHN-dye) is one of the most famous beaches of the world, and is probably the first thing people think of when they think of Sydney.

Bondi Beach and the suburb by which it is more commonly referred, Bondi, is the heart of Sydney's Eastern suburbs.

This area of Sydney was once merely a working-class suburb, but has become one of the most sought-after addresses in Sydney, with such residents as James Packer, son of multi-billionaire Kerry Packer and heir to the vast Packer media empire.

Bondi Beach itself buzzes with people at any time of the year, both with locals and many tourists, especially those from the United Kingdom, Europe and New Zealand. In fact, the highest concentration of ex-patriate New Zealanders in Australia is found here.

Bondi also holds Sydney's Jewish population, supporting several schools, bakeries and temples.

Every Christmas the beach is polluted by the Christmas Day celebrations of hundreds of foreigners, who make the beach their home away from home in the midst of the Southern Summer.

Recently Bondi Beach has been the subject of controversy due to major remodelling to accomodate the 2000 Sydney Olympics beach volleyball.

A recent refurbishment of Bondi's esplanade and outdoor eating areas mean it may accomodate even more people than before for a full meal, espresso or even an old-fashioned milkshake on the corner of Campbell Parade and Curlewis Street (my mother once fainted there when she was pregnant with me!).

Eastern beaches alternatives: Tamarama, Bronte, Coogee and Maroubra.

Up until 35 years ago to get to the Beach you could get a tram, now get a bus (398 I think) It's the 380 - Ed. from Oxford Street at Taylor Square, Darlinghurst or Bondi Junction station.