The Geek I Am. My desk blotter is a double-width pad of quad-ruled graph paper - that's the kind of gamer geek I am. For the past few weeks the top page was a map of Griffin Island. Now that I have the scanner working, I've scanned the map onto ickis. Unfortunately, I have never solved the problem of translating maps to bits; I have a very nice TIFF file of the map, but no clue what I can do to make it interact with other information I have compiled about the setting.

More than you wanted to know. -or, The Geek I Am, revisited. The sunburn I picked up on my balding pate last Saturday has been itching and peeling and DRIVING ME DOG MAD. I had to rub moisturizing lotion into my hair to keep my scalp from unattractively flaking off all day. It looks like I'm using styling gel or somesuch, and that is so not me.

The Lunchbox of Notre Dame. That has a funny ring to it. On an unrelated note, had lunch with ™-. at The Pub, my standard Killian's with a side of taylor-ham-on-a-cheeseburger. Lunch kills me. She loaned me her copy of Disney's Beauty & The Beast. Her sister is getting married, she is stressing coordinating the bridal shower.

Wu-wei. In a surprise display of affection, my mother invites me to join her and Dad for dinner at Red Lobster. She makes me nervous. It seems as if every time we meet in other people's company, she finds an excuse to bring up some stupid thing I've done or remind me of some painful and/or embarrassing episode in my life. So, while this friendly gesture is... well... a friendly gesture, I am wary of letting my guard down. She does the same thing to my father. What makes me shudder: I see this same bitchy mean streak in myself, in my worst moments. =(

A Different Drum. Sometimes when I am playing an .mp3 in WinAmp (which really does whip the llama's ass, usually) under NT4, and I am dialed-up to the Internet, the system locks up and the .mp3 cycles at whatever staticy rattly buzzing point the system froze. "Stable operating system", snort. Shirley MacLaine is doing a book-signing at the nearest Barnes & Noble tonight. My roommate got the ILOVEYOU virus, but deleted it before I could snag a copy. The "Big Game" lottery jackpot is up to ~$200M in tomorrow's drawing, I kicked $5 into the pool at work. Ivan, my mom's cat, came to see my apartment for the first time today... fortunately my roommate's parakeets were safely shut away in her room.