A small pillow shaped sack filled with light plastic beads that rests on the eyes while trying to engage in short term sleeping, commonly referred to as napping. Most eye pillows come in soft material, such as silk, satin or other like materials. Often they are scented with aromas that have been known to work. (See: aromatherapy). Such aromas are lavender and jasmine, and have been rumored to promote REM Sleep.

The medical benefits of these ancient Chinese creations have not been confirmed or denied by the medical community, but have been used for millennium upon millennium to much satisfaction. A deeper look into the supposed medical benefits of the eye pillow are far reaching. It is said to cure or alleviate such common problems as: migraines, relief from anxiety, stress, minor headaches, mild depression, and insomnia.

People who mediatate also commonly use eye pillows as a way to block out unwanted light that can bypass the eyelids and disturb the desired darkness.

Alternative uses of the eye pillows are the freezing and subsequent use for swollen or tired eyes, which also leads to relaxation of the muscles surrounding the eye socket.

My personal testimony is that if you are into recording your dreams, these are an excellent tool to do so. Also, it is great for sleeping in a car, airplane, or other place where distracting noises are the norm.