Philosopher, theologian, doctor of the Church (Angelicus Doctor), patron of Catholic universities, colleges, and schools. Born at Rocca Secca in the Kingdom of Naples, 1225 or 1227; died at Fossa Nuova, 7 March, 1274.

St. Thomas Aquinas was known as the "Dumb Ox" as a child, because he was rather large (there is a legend, probably apocryphal, that claims that they had to carve a half moon out of the dining table in order to let him sit down), and completely silent in school...save for one occasion, when he blurted out "What is God?" His fellow students mistook him for a dunce, but St. Thomas soon began to show signs of remarkable intelligence and insight, exceeding even the abilities of his teachers (later in life, St. Thomas said "I thank God that I have understood every word that I have read," or something to that effect). Against his parent's wishes (he was born into a rich family, and they wanted him to become a comfortable abbot of a reputable monastary), he joined the Dominicans, which was an order of wandering friars, and required a vow of holy poverty. His family, irate beyond belief, imprisoned him and attempted to bodily restrain him from fulfilling his vocation. Eventually, they relented, as St. Thomas combined perfect humility with incredible stubborness when it came to his beliefs.

St. Thomas studied under Albertus Magnus, and eventually obtained a doctorate of Theology at the University of Paris. He applied his incredible intellectual gifts to the end of explaining and defending the Christian faith, and was the first Catholic theologian to explain the philosophy of Aristotle, and to use Aristotle both to deepen our understanding of the Catholic Faith, and to explain the compatibility of Faith and Reason. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote countless treatises, prayers, and philosophic commentaries, and is most famous for the Summa Theologica, which he modestly called a manual of Christian doctrine. His writings are among the most influential in history, and are a landmark in theology and philosophy. For these reasons, as well as his piety, holiness, prayerful life, and obedience to the will of God, St. Thomas Aquinas was canonized in 1323 by Pope John XXII, and proclaimed a doctor of the Church by Pope Pius V in 1567. G.K. Chesterton has written an excellent and entertaining biography of St. Thomas, titled "The Dumb Ox", and published by Ignatius Press.