Theodore Roosevelt, the man after whom the Teddy Bear was named, was a serious badass.

He originally intended to make a speech on October 14, 1912 in Milwaukee when he was shot by a would-be assassin. The opening paragraph of his speech is as follows:

"Friends, I shall ask you to be as quiet as possible. I don't know whether you fully understand that I have just been shot; but it takes more than that to kill a Bull Moose. But fortunately I had my manuscript, so you see I was going to make a long speech, and there is a bullet - there is where the bullet went through - and it probably saved me from it going into my heart. The bullet is in me now, so that I cannot make a very long speech, but I will try my best."
From Wikisource, http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/I_have_just_been_shot

He then proceeded to make a full-fledged, 3,700 word speech with a bullet lodged in his chest.  He visited the hospital afterward, only after his speech was completed.

And this was after his charge at San Juan Hill with the Rough Riders, and his stunt with the cavalrymen (they were complaining about riding 25 miles a day in training, so Roosevelt at a spry 51 years of age, rode 100 miles from sunup to sundown).

Oh, and as a young child, he had asthma and academic problems, until he kicked asthma in the balls and got some glasses.  Then he graduated from Harvard and became a cattle rancher, a deputy sheriff, an explorer, a police commissioner, the assistant Secretary of the Navy, the governor of New York, and a war hero.  Oh, and the President of the United States.