This is a recipe that my great grandfather came up with. He prepared it for his son, who grew up and prepared it for his son who grew up and prepared it for me. There are other recipes that go by the name of "Greek Eggs" but this is our own. It is the way of my people.

It may not be for everyone, but I want you to try it. My great grandfather came to America straight from Greece, so this is the real deal. It has a very strong flavor, which tastes great, but I can't compare it to any American dish. While it is a breakfast food, it may be stronger than anything you're used to eating in morning. It also contains no sugar, so that alone sets it apart from about 80% of the crap on American breakfast tables. It also has garlic, so that pushes the percentage into the "insignificant yet non-zero" breakfast food category.

Ingredients

Instructions

  1. Prepare the ingredients as above (chopped, diced or minced).
    This is supposed to be a breakfast food, so using canned tomatoes is a matter of convenience--go with dice fresh tomatoes for the full effect
  2. Spread olive oil on a skillet over medium heat.
  3. Mix the tomatoes, onions, oregano, garlic and garlic powder.
  4. Add the mixture to the skillet and cook for ten minutes.
  5. Make four depressions in the mixture, each large enough to hold an egg white and egg yolk. Crack an egg into each depression.
  6. Cover and cook for approximately 5 minutes, until the eggs are as desired. It is recommended to cook them until they are firm through and through. Do not cook the dish so long that the liquid is cooked out of the tomatoes.

It is recommended to serve Greek Eggs with dry toast. If the tomatoes come out a little runny, that's not a bad thing. Slap some on the toast and take a bite. Then /msg me about how much you like it. I'll be sure to tell my dad.