The word used by the British for potato chips. It is quite a bit more logical to call thin wafers of fried potato crisps in my opinion. When I think of a chip it is a chunk of something. Like a wood chip. And so I am waging a one-man campaign to get it into general usage in America by replacing potato chip with crisp in my vocabulary. Along with other words.