The question I constantly ask myself whenever I am involved in some sort of online forum these days. It always seems that it starts out fun but after a while all I see is the flaws. It could just be my personality and things get better when I have a more positive attitude. Why then am I noding this? No idea. Why does anyone do anything? Do we have free will or are we the slaves of our biology and formative years? Could it be that there is no choice in things like our tastes or personality? Or is that just a cop out that is made by people with a harder time of it?
These are probably the fundamental questions that define sentience. Meta thought- Thinking about thinking and what it is.
Reasons to Go
- The endless fights. Not the debates, but the knock down drag out fights between users.
- The pointlessness of debate. After all it is not as if this is an important resource.
- The Xp system and how things get nuked or not.
- If I want to write perhaps I should do it on my own. Or for cash even. (I have actually had two things published.)
- Offline I can choose not to hang out with jerks.
- Waste of time. Even reading fanfic could be more worthwhile.
Reasons to Stay
- Giving up is not a good thing.
- It can be fun to write with no particular goal in mind.
- I do not have to log in every day. Just when I feel like spending some time.
- I could just read if nothing else, a bit of the stuff here is really neat.
Hopefully I will think of more positive things when I feel better.