Satmar is a sect of Hasidism, named for the city of Satu Mare, in present-day Romania. Satmar was founded by Rabbi Yoel Teitelbaum (1887-1979), diminutively known as Reb Yoilish. Its current Grand Rabbi is his nephew, Rabbi Moshe Teitelbaum.

Reb Yoilish's major work was the Kuntress (pamphlet) "Vayoel Moshe", in which he emphasized the importance of the Three Oaths which the Jews metaphorically or literally swore to God upon being sent into galus. One of these was the promise not to "storm the gates" and found a pre-messianic Jewish state. Satmar Hasidim today are probably best known among other Jews for their outspoken opposition to the existence of the state of Israel.

There are currently an estimated 45,000 Satmar Hasidim in Williamsburg, Brooklyn*, and there is also a Satmar outpost in Far Rockaway, Queens. Within the Satmar community, there are many charitable organizations, including one which visits and brings kosher food to hospital patients. There is even a bus line, Ezras Cholim DiSatmar, which runs exclusively between the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Williamsburg, Boro Park, and Flatbush, and six Manhattan hospitals.

*http://www.pbs.org/alifeapart/intro.html

...Back to Hasidic Sects