All religious beliefs aside, there is also a band called The Rapture. The frantic post-punk outfit has caught the ears of many indie rock insiders. The Rapture is part of the growing group of early post-punk and funk-inflected acts along with Radio 4, !!!, The Delta '72, and The Dismemberment Plan.

Members:

Luke Jenner: Guitars/Vocals
Matt Safer: Bass
Vito Roccoforte: Drums

Formed by drummer Vito Roccoforte and guitarist/vocalist Luke Jenner in San Francisco in early 1998, the Rapture plays New York rock and roll with New Jersey grit. Fittingly, The Rapture moved to New York City soon after forming. Their noisy, raucous brand of danceable post-punk was first unleashed in early 1999 with their only full-length to date (well, if you call 25 minutes a full album), Mirror. The album was mostly a wilder version of influences like Television and Talking Heads.

After a tour, The Rapture came back with the Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks EP on Sub Pop in 2001 (incidentally, the EP lasts only 2 minutes less than the "album"). The EP (referred to by the band as a "sonic death groove") would once again display The Rapture's melody-less sound and screaming, irritated vocals.

For the 2002 single House of Jealous Lovers The Rapture enlisted the help of the DFA, a superstar producing duo who have produced for UNKLE, Primal Scream, and Radio 4. As with everything the DFA touch, the single turned into gold (metaphorically, you ninny - not a gold record). The added production experience brought out the best in The Rapture, so hopefully the future will see a true full-length produced with the DFA.

Discography

  • Mirror (1999)
  • Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks (2001)
  • House of Jealous Lovers Single (2002)
  • Echoes (2003)

Similar Artists:

Television, Talking Heads, Radio 4, The Delta '72, Primal Scream, Gang of Four, Shellac, Joy Division, Public Image Ltd.

Sources:

  • All Music Guide http://www.allmusic.com
  • http://www.epitonic.com/artists/therapture.html