History

Introduced by Rothmans Australia in 1972 Winfield has changed Australia's marketing history forever. Consistent instilling of Australian culture in all brand messages has not only assured success for Winfield, it has become part of Australia's culture.

Combined with the effect of the release of Peter Jackson, Winfield created the mainstream cigarette market in Australia - creating a valuable middle ground between the premium and value segments. Released in the unusual configuration of 25 cigarettes per box, advertising at the time emphasized giving Australian's a fair go and 5 smokes ahead of the rest. Interestingly despite this value focus, Peter Jackson's configuration of 30 per box never granted them success over Winfield.

Studies concluded that this value added approach removed the stigma that many associate with value brands.

The use of Anyhow*, have a Winfield in the brand's marketing immortalized the product in the minds of many Australians. Print ads staring Paul Hogan maintaining a calm persona through a variety of bizarre and challenging situations endeared the brand to many households, and controversially appealed to young children.

This appeal to children contributed to the decision in the early 1990s to ban all tobacco advertising within Australia. This decision affected Winfield's ability to market its brand image, and was restricted to in-store displays and sports sponsorship. Both of these practices are no also banned in most states.

Winfield's marketing efforts and brand placement has been focused on increasing brand loyalty within Australian smokers. While loyalty is higher than standard products, however overseas smokers consistently have greater brand loyalty compared to the Australian market.

Winfield also faced difficulties early in the millennium due to a decision by the ACCC to abolish the use of Mild, Ultra Mild ect in relation to cigarette strength. The solution to this problem was increasing the profile of the colours on the packs, which now differentiated between different tar and strength contents.

Due to the success of the brand, it is now available in Canada and Germany

Sponsorship

As with many cigarette brands, sports sponsorship played a strong role in marketing to the population as advertising bans came into affect. The brand played a heavy role in rugby league where from 1982 to 1994 the NSWRL Premiership was awarded the Winfield Cup and in 1995 the ARL premiership received the same honor.

Due to changing laws, the trophy was abolished after the 1995 season to restrict tobacco companies ability to advertise their products.

Critisims

Winfield, like all cigarette brands have received extensive criticism from the media. Throughout the use of Paul Hogan in their advertising materials, the business faced multiple claims of attracting children to smoking by using such a cartoon-like and well know actor.

Also, Winfield has faced criticism regarding the labeling on their products with main claiming that the placement of "Anyhow*, have a Winfield" underneath the lid is directly undermining smoking warnings on the box.

The business also has a history of pushing marketing schemes beyond the intent of the law. A popular example is the use of special anniversary metal cigarette cases as the packing of the cigarette in order to avoid Australian law that prohibit tobacco giveaways.

Market Position

Winfield (which is now owned by British American Tobacco) is the leading cigarette brand in Australia and the third largest grocery brand in the country. In the 2004 fiscal year sales exceeded AUD$750 million.

Products

  • Winfield Red - 16mg Strength
  • Winfield Blue - 12mg Strength
  • Winfield Gold - 8mg Strength
  • Winfield Menthol - 8mg Strength
  • Winfield Sky Blue - 6mg Strength
  • Winfield Grey - 4mg Strength
  • Winfield Cool Menthol - 4mg Strength
  • Winfield White - 2mg Strength
  • Winfield Ultimate - 1mg Strength

References

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_%28cigarette%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfield_Cup

http://tc.bmj.com/cgi/content/extract/15/4/275

http://tobacco.health.usyd.edu.au/tds/details.jsp?document_id=PM2504062920/2956&number=8

http://tc.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/12/suppl_3/iii79

http://tc.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/12/suppl_3/iii87

http://tc.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/12/suppl_3/iii95