Intro:Rangoli is a traditional Indian art sharing many qualities of a mural. Rang means color and oli (aavalli) means rows of color. It is also known by the names Alpana and Kolam. Designs range from simple to complex which can take hours to complete. Powders such as white stone, lime, rice, and tumeric are used in the creation of the art. More skilled artisans will use flower petals along with the aforementioned powders.

Usage: Rangoli is used to decorate courtyards, housewalls, places of worship, and entryways. It is also used as a decorative seating for a person having a birthday, naming ceremony, or thread ceremony. Newlyweds will have their wedding celebration surroundings festive with Rangoli in every direction. Girls and wives compete with each other for the best design. It is believed that the gods are fond of beauty, and Rangoli is one household art meant for propitiating deities.

History: Originally, Rangoli was created in small patterns, but now entire floor areas of rooms and hotel foyers are covered in intricate designs. Only common (lowcaste) people were artisans of Rangoli, but now popularity has been on the rise which allows anyone to immerse themself in the antique art of Rangoli.