Camping is the activity of establishing oneself in a wilderness environment. In its popular context, camping is a recreational activity, although throughout history normadic hunter gatherers, soldiers, refugees, explorers, tramps and people queueing for rock concert tickets away from their regular habitat have been required to create some form of improvised housing for themselves.

By definition the wilderness does not provide the tools and provisions to easily sustain people accustomed to built environments. Camping is therefore an art, to ensure that people's nutritional, sanitary and accomodation requirements are met, relying on both bushcraft (making use of the wilderness), and the bringing in from outside a wise selection of necessary equipment and supplies, usually in backpacks. As often campers have to carry everything needed, parsimony in what they bring is encouraged.

Camping is usually associated with other outdoor activities - hiking, fishing, mountainbiking, rockclimbing etc. However people find pleasure just in adapting to a pseudo-rustic lifestyle. Camping as recreation originated in the late nineteenth century as part of the naturalist movement. America's newly urbanised population, now able to think beyond where their next meal will come from, began to notice the natural beauty of their country, and also to regard rural life as a healthier and more wholesome alternative to the cities where they would work in offices or factories. The Boy Scout movement popularised camping in other countries around the world.

Camping brings with it a whole new class of objects and procedures necessary to sustain life. Tents are used to accomodate campers, who would lie within sleeping bags. Backpacks allow campers to comfortably carry all their equipment and provisions. Traditionally campfires would serve many purposes - to cook food, provide light and warmth after dark. Technological innovations ranging from the Swiss army knife to GPS, designed to make everyday life easier for campers, have changed the character of camping.