Ah the joys of buying a new home. You see I bought a new house just back in September of 2001. I bought a fairly small house at the time, being single and having only a roommate and a cat as company.

But then in December I met the most wonderful woman in the world and by January we were engaged to be married. Which has been quite amazing.

Then when visiting my father he commented on the possibility of having the builder make a deal with us on building a larger home.

We went back to the model home and decided on a plan. The new house is a fair bit more expensive and our conditions on our offer are just about ready to be waived. We have a guaranteed, albiet low price on the old house, allowing us to proceed with construction and starting selling the old house later on closer to the closing date. It is a good oppurtunity as housing costs are about to go up and we don't have to worry about not being able to sell our old house.

Still I can't help but wonder if we are doing the right thing. On the one hand we get a new house suitable for a family and one which we could retire in. On the other hand it is more expensive and we risk getting screwed on the price of the old house; in any case I will be losing money (probably) on the old house although saving money on getting in before price increases.

I guess the only real dilemna here is playing it safe or taking a chance (even if it's a small one). I guess it is risk vs. reward. Hmmm I wonder if Verant has patched my life while I wasn't looking? As long as I don't nerf myself!