Sometimes, things just work out for the better.

I had an end-of-semester gaming party planned tonight. I invited a bunch of people (7) over. Only two of them showed up (and one of them was 3.5 hours late). I was rather pissed. But in the middle of the evening, we got a knock on the door. It seems that one of the two who showed up had accidentally backed into and knocked over the neighbors' motorcycle, causing it some minor damage. Being the good host that I was trying to be, I went outside (since the two friends went out anyway). I got to talking to the neighbors. Turns out I've been living next door to a pair of otaku for four months without even knowing it. (The cool, laid-back kind, no less - they know anime, and are obsessed with certain aspects - the husband everything before 1984, the wife everything Pokémon, specifically the original Japanese cartoon, not the Americanized version - but didn't jump on me for liking Tenchi Muyo or Ghost in the Shell even though those were titles they hated.)

The wife pointed out that if it weren't for my friend Dan hitting the motorcycle, we'd never have actually started talking, and we'd not have known of the mutually-beneficial state of being neighbors. So Dan's accident ended up being a Good Thing.

After chatting for a couple hours, I invited the neighbors to join us and watch some anime (we settled on the first half of Macross Plus). It was Cool.

They're a bit obsessed with Pokémon though, but hey, that's okay. The wife works for Hastings and can get me discounts on CDs and DVDs. :) And, since it seems that Dan (who's also an anime fan) might end up being my housemate in the near future, there'll be all sorts of Japanese goodness. Hey, and there's a new sushi bar within walking distance of my house which I need to get around to trying.

Sometimes, things just work out for the better.