The Isle of the Dead is a science fiction novel with strong fantasy elements and themes, written by Roger Zelazny and published by Ace in 1969.

The novel is set in a far future, with interstellar travel, alien races: the whole kaboodle, but it's, by far, not your average science fiction novel. Then again, nothing by Roger Zelazny is average.

Zelazny's literary skill knew no bounds. This book, as well as most of his others, deserves merit not only for the fantastic, imaginitive ideas but for the pure excellence of the writing itself. The prose is extremely diverse, shifting from stark to florid, from chaotic and utterly abstract to concise clarity.

The protagonist, Francis Sandow, is one of 100 richest people in the galaxy, possessed of the power to shape the very fabric of worlds. He is the only human ever to unlock this hidden potential which the Pei'ans, an alien race, have utilized for millennia.

Zelazny had a love for mystery and this novel is no different. When Francis begins receiving pictures from an unknown source, pictures of dead friends and enemies who should be long forgotten to anyone but himself, accompanied by portentious messages, he decides to seek answers...

Tokyo Bay, on any given day, is likely to wash anything ashore.