Dysfunctional Family Dialogue

Right before our Thanksgiving dinner of Stouffer's frozen lasagna and ready-made pecan pie (and nothing else), the conversation went a little something like this:

My Crazy Grandma: "They give us our baths on Saturday."

Yuppie Sister-in-Law: "So you're rolling up on day 5 then? Good to know."

(4 children screetching at full volume and running through the hallway)

Crazy Grandma: "You know this spot, this spot here on my face? . . . I pulled this thing off a couple days ago that looked like--"

Yuppie SIL: "Well I'm going to go see if the food's ready now. (grumbles) There goes my fucking appetite."

Yuppie brother: "When the fuck are we going to eat?"

(overhear Dad and Mom shouting at each other in the kitchen, as per usual)

Other SIL: "NO! QUIT RUNNING! GRANDMA'S OPENING THE OVEN SO STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!"

(all four children run to the kitchen to watch their grandma open the oven)

Child #2: "I hate lasagna! I'm not eating nothing!" (begins wailing)

Child #1: "Why you cry all the time, baby?"

Yuppie SIL: "YOU WILL EAT YOUR LASAGNA OR WE WILL THROW ALL YOUR CHRISTMAS PRESENTS AWAY!"

Yuppie brother: "Nothing says Thanksgiving like stouffer's frozen lasagna. Oh, and paper plates too, you've spared no expense.

Mom: "IF YOU WANT TO COOK DINNER YOURSELF AND WASH ALL THE DISHES YOU'RE WELCOME TO IT!"

Yuppie SIL (speaking to me): "Am I in your way?"

Me: "No, I'm just standing here till grandma picks her spot before I pick my spot."

Yuppie SIL: "What, you don't want to listen to her talk about their bathing schedule at the home?"

Me: "Not this year. If I sit down first she'll sit by me like she does every year."

(Child #4 bawling at full volume because his mother isn't in his line of sight)

(Child #3 in highchair throws lasagna onto floor)

Child #2: "I no sit by you, I no like you anymore."

Child #1: "I no like you either."

(Child #2 wailing)

Yuppie SIL: "STOP WHINING AND EAT OR YOU'RE NOT GETTING ANYTHING FOR CHRISTMAS!"

Dad: "Mother, where do you want to sit? Mother? Mother? SIT DOWN!"

Other brother (singing): "It's the most wonderful time of the year . . ."