Almost anyone with an extensive dating history has a story about "the one" that got away. Sometimes there's more than one, but we're sticking to cliche here.

Usually this statement is applied to a romantic interest that seemed 100% compatible but a stupid decision or some controllable aspect of the individual's lifestyle (most often something career related) halted the blossoming relationship.

For me it was a young Co-ed at the Frankfurt International University. We met at a dance club and hit it off really well. We talked on the phone and had some great conversations, we unsuccessfully tried to see each other again. I was in the military at the time and at the beck and call of my superiors. It was pretty obvious that we wanted to be with each other but circumstances forbid it. I had to fly to England for a couple months, her ex-boyfriend was coming into town, we tried, we checked our schedule and for four months neither of us had the time to see each other (I realized this when the statement "How's your February look?" came up.). We decided it was better for both of us just not to start.

I still wonder what my life would have been like if the situation had been slightly different. I still remember our conversations on the phone with her, we spoke of literature and life, and we laughed a lot. Now I'm near-engaged, happy with a good job, a nice place to live and a remarkable woman who loves me and whom I love in return, but there will always be "the one that got away".