From: The Thorough Good Cook

Soup 8. Julienne Soup

A carrot, turnips, onions, leeks, and celery, according to quantity required ; cut the carrots in thin slices; cut them again across into small thin strips; if the carrots are old, peel off only the parts that are red; slice all your vegetables equally ; put three ounces of butter into a stew-pan; when it is melted put in the onions, and fry for four minutes; add the remainder of your vegetables, pass them quickly with a tablespoonful of powdered sugar, and keep continually tossing them so that they shall not catch. When they are beginning to look somewhat dry, add a quart of clarified consomme; let it boil gently at the corner of the fire for twenty minutes, and be very careful to skim it well. A greasy Julienne is destruction; only, the vegetables must be lightly fried, or rather browned, in the butter, else your soup will not be a Julienne at all. Some cooks add sorrel leaves and cabbage-lettuce, and a little picked chervil, cut small; but to my mind these additions make a highly artistic soup a rude mess of pottage. Serve it-as indeed you should serve all soups and all warm dishes-as hot as ever you possibly can. The heat, should be in the dishing-up and in the plates, not in the seasoning.