The sixth book of the Old Testament, also called Josue. Joshua, minister of Moses, is appointed by God to take Moses' place as leader upon Moses' death.

The first part describes God's renewal of the promise of the Promised Land. Joshua and an armed force (about 40,000 men), accompanied by the priests and the Ark of the Covenant, marched against Jericho. When they reached the river Jordan and the Ark touched the water, the river was dammed by the Power of God, and the Israelite host passed across the dry river bed. (Joshua 3:15) One man chosen from each of the Twelve Tribes of Israel took a stone from the riverbed as a memorial of the event. When all had crossed the Jordan began to flow again. They camped at Gilgal and made a monument to God's power from the 12 stones.

Jericho was a walled city, and was shut tight against the invaders. God spoke to Joshua (Joshua 6) and told him to take his army and circle the walled city once each day for six days. Before the Ark of the Covenant were to march seven priests with seven ram's horns. On the seventh day the army was to circle seven times, with the priest blowing on the horns and the people shouting. Then the walls would fall.

Joshua followed these instructions, cautioning the people not to shout until instructed. On the seventh day after the seventh circling all shouted on command as the priests blew on the horns. As the song says, the walls came tumblin' down. The people sacked the city and put all within it (save the family of Rahab who had sheltered Joshua's spies) to the sword. They looted all of the gold and silver, supposedly for god's coffers, and put the city to the torch.

They they went to battle against the city of Ai. They laid an ambush and then lured the city's defenders out for battle. The ambushers crept into the city and put it to the torch (Joshua 8:19). The Ai army fled, and the people were put to the sword and the King of Ai was hanged¹.

Then the city of Gibeon made peace with Joshua, but the cities of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jerimoth, Lachis, and Eglon rose against Gibeon to punish it. To make a long story short, Joshua's forces opposed them and strenghtened by God, verily, Joshua's army kicked their asses. The kings of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jerimoth, Lachis, and Eglon were captured and hanged. (Joshua 10:25)

Its major cities broken, the rest of the region falls soon after - Joshua 11 is filled with marching about and looting. Thus is the Promised Land delivered to Joshua and the people of Israel.

The rest of the Book of Joshua details the division of the land unto the Twelve Tribes of Israel. Finally, at the age of one hundred and ten, Joshua dies.

Deuteronomy | Judges

This is part of a series of original summations of the Old Testament by me, Lord Brawl, prepared on Sundays as a nod toward the faith of my youth.

1. As I've remarked elsewhere, the Old Testament is a bloody place. In fairness we note that this was standard military practice, not unusual cruelty.