Mesquite Flour Tortillas

Mix together flour meal and salt. Drizzle on oil and stir with a fork. Stir in warm water and make into a ball. Knead for two minutes on a floured board. Cover and let rest for twenty minutes. Divide into twelve balls. Roll each one into 1/8 “ thick circle. Cook in a dry skillet over medium heat. When slightly browned on one side, approximately one minute. Flip over and cook ten to fifteen seconds more. Stack in a plastic bag immediately and let it sit to steam. You can store these at room temperature two to three days. For longer storage keep in the refrigerator.

Make your own mesquite meal

Mesquite pods are ready for harvesting in early spring and again in the fall. The fleshy part is the pod provides a major source of carbohydrates in native diets. It’s prepared primarily as meal and made into gruel , cakes, and beverages. Although mesquite tastes very sweet, it is low in sugar a, compared to its large amount of fiber. It’s this fiber that prevents blood sugar levels from rising.

Gather mesquite pods when straw colored, dry and brittle. Carefully dry and parch by placing a tray of pods in the oven at 225 degrees for twenty minutes, or at 350 degrees for four minutes. To grind use a heavy-duty grinder or hand crank mill. The pods can also be broken with a mortar before grinding. The pods may need to be sifted and reground before a fine meal is obtained.

Mesquite meal lacks gluten, so it’s best to use a ratio of one part mesquite to three-fourths parts wheat flour.

Source: Native Seeds/ SEARCH
526 N. Fourth Avenue
Tucson, Arizona 85705

Or you can order from them on line at:

Native Seeds/ SEARCH
http://www.nativeseeds.org/v1/default.php