Eggs are a source of complete animal protein and the best kind of meat stretchers and meat substitutes. Recipe servings are adequate for nutritional needs and are frequently combined with foods such as pasta, rice and bread which is nice because it adds up to a larger serving than those nutritionally adequate serving of meant fish and poultry. It's great for those who enjoy a filling meal and still be able to eat correctly.

Buying Eggs:

    Size: When crucial to a recipe amounts of eggs are given in liquid measure, but as a general rule recipes calling for eggs are commonly referring to Large eggs. Eggs at the market are most commonly available as extra large, large, and medium.

    Grade: Standards set by the US Federal Government classify eggs as AA, A, B, and C . AA and A are best for poaching, frying, and eating in the shell. The yolks are firm, round and high. The thick white stands high around the yolk with a less amount of the thin white. Grade B eggs have the same nutritive value and are more economical as AA and A; they are perfectly acceptable for other uses than poaching, frying, or eating in the shell.

    Color: Brown Eggs or white, pale yellow yolks or deep yellow ones-- all are the same when it comes to cooking performance and nutrition. Shell color is the result of pigmentation from feed or the yolk color.

Storing Eggs

    Refrigerate eggs right after you buy them, store them with the large ends up to keep the yolks in the center. It's best to use them within a week. Leftover egg whites will keep in the fridge in a covered jar for 7 to 10 days. Cover the leftover yolks with water and store in a covered jar. Yolks will last only 2 to 3 days. Frequent uses for leftover yolks are Hollandaise Sauce or Cooked Salad Dressings. Use the whites for Meringue Kisses or Angel Food Cake.

Egg Equivalents

    You will need 4 to 6 eggs to get the equivalent of a 1 cup measure or 8 to 10 whites or 12 to 14 yolks.

Helpful Hints

Source:

eggs:
www.placergrown.org/jsp/pg/114.jsp

My batter spattered Betty Crocker's Cookbook.