Amen Byzantine!!

Life is really good!

I was late for gym and Howard reminded me that.....'class starts at 8:30 ! '
uh oh I thought.
'Still, he continued, there's always room for pretty girls! He cracks us all up !

I counted the number of sit ups the instructor had us do and it around the range of 260. We do them for about 7 minutes every class. I was sorry I counted them last week because it then became a bit overwhelming to start them and know how many I was going to be doing. Now the feeling has evolved to 'wow there was a time I couldn't even do one.' I watched Howard today and he did every single one of them! Amazing!

Tuesday

I was taking Number One Son home from work at the Universty of Arizona Library
hehe He says, 'It's the only building on campus that's not red brick.'
Anyway on the way home driving down 6th Ave. we experienced a Carlosian Sighting ! It may count as a Carlosian Encounter of the Third Kind as it seems to fit all the criteria. It was confirmed by Carlos that, though this is a rarity, indeed it was him. At any rate Number One Son is still wary of the Baron of Darkness and thus the idea for the The Guide to Field Indentifications of BaronCarlos just fell out of nowhere. Hopefully, it will help the newer noders get to know this often misunderstood man as well.

Dad and I had a great lunch at the Gormet of China yesterday. There werr three buffets to choose from. My dad returned to the table laughing and telling me that the hostess had seated 'his wife' (meaning me!) in the back! He assured me he corrected her. Dad suffered a slipped disc in his thirties as a result of training in the use of ejection seats as a pilot.
(See ~Martin-Baker Fan Club).
He was told he would never go back on flying status again because after surgery to remove several discs and relieve a great deal of pain he couldn't pass the physical to go back to flying. Needless to say he proved the predictions wrong and has excercised every day since to keep his back in shape. He really set the example for me when I was a little girl and because of this he looks much younger than his years. I'm sure he was very flattered by the young hostess and deserves it! I couldn't believe it....we were talking about Number One Son taking Trig and my dad's telling me how took a math class at the U of A and just couldn't make any sense out of the equations he was trying to learn. He says my ineptitudes with math must have been genetically inherited from him.
Then he proceeds to lift his water glass up off of the napkin he had set it on to catch the moisture forming on the outside of the glass from the humidity and says triumphantly,

Look! He smiles and asks me , Now why do you suppose that the napkin is not sticking to the glass?

Well I tell him some about the water being conducted down the napkin by gravity and that's why it sticks.

But, he says again, Why isn't the napkin sticking to my glass and it sticks to yours?

He lifts my glass to show me. I can't think of any reason why this was happening. So he demonstrstes his discovery that when he shakes some salt onto the napkin this prevents the napkin from sticking.

All this from a man who says he doesn't understand math! I hope I'm still into learning new things and making discoveries like that when I'm his age!

Dad did relate some sad news to me about my sister. She had called earlier crying because of some serious family problems. It made what I went through last week seem like a cake walk. I'm worried and I hope things will work out well for her. Parenting is always fly by the seat of your pants job.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all consolation, who consoles us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to console those who are in any affliction with the consolation with which we ourselves are consoled by God.
- 2 Corinthians 1: 3-7 (NRSV)

Devotion