Some additional lore about the agreeable and pleasant Pippi, she is childhood heroine and we have a lot in common. The book is about a funny Swedish girl named Pippi Longstocking who is the strongest girl in the world. Her father is a cannibal king and her mother is deceased. Every book in the Pippi series is knock-your-socks-off funny. They are read aloud Childrens Literature Books for Ages 9-13.

Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful nine-year-old girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables. I would like to add a small is excerpt for illustration purposes. It begins when Pippi moves into Villa Villekulla,.....will the Child Welfare make her behave like a proper child, or will her papa, the pirate, come and rescue her?

Way out at the end of a tiny little town was an old overgrown garden, and in the garden was an old house, and in the house lived Pippi Longstocking. She was nine years old, and she lived there all alone. She had no mother and no father, and that was of course very nice because there was no one to tell her to go to bed just when she was having fun, and no one could make her take cod liver oil when she much preferred caramel candy.

Once upon a time Pippi had had a father of whom she was extremely fond. Naturally, she had had a mother too, but that was so long ago that Pippi didn't remember her at all. Her mother had died when Pippi was just a tiny baby and lay in a cradle and howled so that nobody could go anywhere near her. Pippi was sure that her mother was now in Heaven, watching her little girl through a peephole in the sky, and Pippi often waved up at her and called, "Don't you worry about me. I'll always come out on top."

Pippi had not forgotten her father. He was a sea captain who sailed on the great ocean, and Pippi had sailed with him in his ship until one day her father was blown overboard in a storm and disappeared. But Pippi was absolutely certain that he would come back. She would never believe that he had drowned; she was sure he had floated until he landed on an island inhabited by cannibals and went around with a golden crown on his head all day long.

"My papa is a cannibal king; it certainly isn't every child who has such a stylish papa," Pippi used to say with satisfaction. "And as soon as my papa has built himself a boat he will come and get me, and I'll be a cannibal princess. Heigh-ho, won't that be exciting?"

Her father had bought the old house in the garden many years ago. He thought he would live there with Pippi when he grew old and couldn't sail the seas any longer. And then this annoying thing had to happen, that he was blown into the ocean, and while Pippi was waiting for him go come back she went straight home to Villa Villekulla. That was the name of the house. It stood there ready and waiting for her. One lovely summer evening she had said good-bye to all the sailors on her father's boat. They were all fond of Pippi, and she of them.

"So long, boys," she said and kissed each one on the forehead. "Don't you worry about me. I'll always come out on top."

Two things she took with her from the ship: a little monkey whose name was Mr. Nilsson - he was a present from her father - and a big suitcase full of gold pieces. The sailors stood upon the deck and watched as long as they could see her. She walked straight ahead without looking back at all, with Mr. Nilsson on her shoulder and her suitcase in her hand.

"A remarkable child," said one of the sailors as Pippi disappeared in the distance.

He was right. Pippi was indeed a remarkable child. The most remarkable thing about her was that she was so strong. She was so very strong that in the whole wide world there was not a single police officer as strong as she. Why, she could lift a whole horse if she wanted to! And she wanted to. She had a horse of her own that she had bought with one of her many gold pieces the day she came home to Villa Villekulla. She had always longed for a horse, and now here he was, living on the porch. When Pippi wanted to drink her afternoon coffee there, she simply lifted him down into the garden.

Beside Villa Villekulla was another garden and another house. In that house lived a father and mother and two charming children, a boy and a girl. The boy's name was Tommy and the girl's Annika. They were good, well brought up, and obedient children. Tommy would never think of biting his nails, and he always did exactly what his mother told him to do. Annika never fussed when she didn't get her own way, and she always looked pretty in her little well-ironed cotton dresses; she took the greatest care not to get them dirty. Tommy and Annika played nicely with each other in their garden, but they had often wished for a playmate. While Pippi was still sailing on the ocean with her father, they often used to hang over the fence and say to each other, "Isn't is silly that nobody ever moves into that house. Somebody ought to live there - somebody with children."

On that lovely summer evening when Pippi for the first time stepped over the threshold of Villa Villekulla, Tommy and Annika were not at home. They had gone to visit their grandmother for a week; and so they had no idea that anybody had moved into the house next door. On the first day after they came home again they stood by the gate, looking out onto the street, and even then they didn't know that there actually was a playmate so near. Just as they were standing there considering what they should do and wondering whether anything exciting was likely to happen or whether it was going to be one of those dull days when they couldn't think of anything to play - just then the gate of Villa Villekulla opened and a little girl stepped out. She was the most remarkable girl Tommy and Annika had ever seen. She was Miss Pippi Longstocking out for her morning promenade.

translation by Florence Lamborn.

Lindgren, Astrid. "Pippi Moves into Villa Villekulla." Pippi Longstocking. Puffin Books, 1978.


A critical review of Pippi Longstocking by Georgie A. T., Grade 6

One day, two robbers named Bloom and Thunder-Karlsson come into Villa Villekulla (Pippi's home), see Pippi's big chest of gold coins and ask if Pippi is alone. Pippi truthfully says she is alone, but she does say that Mr. Nilsson (her pet monkey) is there also. Of course, (the robbers could not know Mr. Nilsson was a monkey). So they stayed outside, and waited for the lights to go out in Villa Villekulla (Pippi was learning to dance the schottische). When the lights were out, the robbers went in, but Pippi was still awake. So then they tried to steal Pippi's chest, but she gets it back, puts the two robbers on the chest-of-drawers, takes them down, and makes Bloom blow on the comb and Thunder-Karlsson dance with her. After Bloom got tired, Pippi suggested that they were tired and hungry. That was what the two bandits were, so Pippi decked out the table and the two robbers ate until they were four-cornered Read this book! I give it a 600 on my scale of 1 to 500.