This one easy. Choose your favorite squash about one pound, I like yellow crook neck and zucchini. Both are prolific growers in the desert gardens of the southwest. Available year round at the grocery store they are an economical buy.

First pre heat the grill to medium hot. For a tasty treat you can use mesquite wood as the fuel source.

While the grill is warming up, cut in half and remove seeds, then slice length wise into ½ slabs, about 3 inches by 6 inches. Baste with your favorite sofrito and place on grill over a pre-heated medium-hot grill, 4 to 6 inches source of heat. Turn when almost ready to give a good sear on the top. It will still be firm.

Remove from grill and serve with the skin on. Dinner is served with traditional sides of black beans and white rice and makes for a well balanced and tasty vegetarian meal.

*cha**cha*cha*

For an extra Latin sizzle add a little salsa music and serve with a pitcher of frozen Margaritas !


A sofrito paste is a big part of Cuban cooking and is the base ingredient of many Cuban and Puerto Rican dishes giving everything a distinct flavor. Most Caribbean cooks today make the sofrito from scratch as part of the recipe preparation. Any time a recipe calls for sautéd onions, green pepper, and garlic, it is really asking you to make a sofrito. Some cooks keep a pre-made sofrito on hand to add to soups and stews, and for seasoning meats It’s a little bit of a shortcut, if you’re really in a hurry. Here is my secret family recipe for sofrito.

Sofrito

Combine all ingredients in a jar of a food processor. Use as directed in recipes.

You may also make two, three, or more times the amount above and freeze the sofrito in small containers like ice-cube trays. Use one or two cubes when cooking.

Would you like to go to Vegetarian Meals That Aren't Just Brown Gack?

For Ouroboros

* Red, green or yellow bell peppers make a nice substitute.