A major city in Greece, mentioned in the Iliad it was occupied throughout most of the first millennium BCE and until 521 CE. The problem of sexual immorality (incest and fornication) among Saint Paul's converts in Corinth is noteworthy (1 Corinthians 5:1-13; 1 Corinthians 6:9-20) as is illustrated by the meaning one of the Greek verbs meaning "to practice fornication" was korinthiazomai, a derivative of the city's name. It’s most likely a result of being adjacent to two bustling seaports rather that to its temple of Aphrodite.

Corinth owes much to it's geographical location set on the isthmus dividing the harbor towns of Lachaeum on the Corinthian Gulf from Cenchreae on the Saronic Gulf. Also of geographical note was the citadel of the Acrocorinth directly south of Corinth.

Notable historical events in the city's history were its destruction by the Roman consul Mummius in 146 BCE, as well as its reestablishment in 44 BCE by Julius Ceasar as a Roman colony.

Archeological excavations to date have shown that Corinth was indeed populated, although sparsley as evidenced by the discoveries of artifacts such as stoas, the sanctuary of Demeter and Kore and the archaic temple Asclepieum. These sites were indeed in use well after the city's defeat in 146 and not totally abandoned as was previously thought. With this newly unearthed physical evidence, the importance of nascent Christianly in Corinth of the Apostle Paul's writings becomes clearer. As a province of the Roman Archaia and the home of proconsul Gallio one can understand why Paul would address a circular letter to "all the saints throughout Archia" to Corinth. (2 Corinthians 1:1)

The prevalent Roman custom of wearing devotional head coverings during worship is reflected by the practice of some Christian men at Corinth wearing head coverings while prophesying and prayer. Paul wrote of the scandalous difference between 'weak' and 'strong' Christians of Corinth in 1 Corinthians 8:10, and the resulting consequences of the participation in meals at an idol's temple. His descriptions of these temples have been found to be reasonably accurate based upon the recent discoveries of the physical size and the social functions of the temples he makes reference to. Although Acts 18 refers to a synagogue in Corinth, the famous lintel inscription found there in "Synagogue of the Hebrews," unfortunately has not been accurately dated as of this time.

There were an abundance of claims to miracles, healings, ecstatic prophesies and visions from many cultures adding to the confusion of that era. Among such a rich variety of diversity it's understandable how easily the Gentile Christians would find themselves bewildered and in need of guidance regarding their own spiritual gifts.

Summarized from The Oxford Companion to the Bible, 1993.