CPR is an acronym meaning Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation. (Resuscitation as in reviving, Cardio from cardios or heart, and pulmonary referring to the gaseous circulation system of the body (i.e., lungs), so CPR means 'revival of heart and lungs.')
WARNING: USE OF CPR SHOULD ONLY BE USED BY A TRAINED, CARD-CARRYING PROFESSIONAL! Ok?

Procedure in performing CPR:

  1. First, check the scene for any hazards present to you, the rescuer. You are no use to anyone as another victim!
  2. Approach the victim. Shake them, make sure they're not sleeping. Also make sure he has no pulse and he's not breathing. Due to the methods used in performing CPR, they should not be used on anyone who is not suffering from cardiovascular arrest.
  3. Send someone to call 911. State your intention in a calm, clear voice.
  4. Prepare the victim for CPR:
    1. Make sure the victim is placed upon their back, facing upwards. If they are lying on their chest, enlist the assistance of another person to roll them over, one person keeping the head stable. Also, now would be a great time to don protective gear such as gloves. A CPR mask would also be useful in avoiding blood-borne pathogens.
    2. Using both hands, move the head so the chin is pointing upwards, and the scalp area is pressed against the ground. This causes the tongue to fall away, leaving the airway open.
    3. Sealing the nostrils with one hand, breathe two full breaths into the victim. Watch to make sure his chest rises/falls. If it does, move onto the next step. If it does not, sweep the victim's mouth with a hooked finger to attempt removal of any blockages.
    4. Locate the victim's xiphoid process. Find a spot approx. two inches above that spot on the sternum. Place the heel of one hand on that spot, place the other hand on top of that hand, and interlace the top hand's fingers with the ones of the bottom hand.
    5. Without moving your hands, raise your body above the victim's, locking your elbows so you can transfer maximum force into his chest.
    6. Proceed to deliver fifteen compressions, one approximately every other second. It often helps to count aloud, like: "One-AND-Two-AND-etc."
    7. Reposition head as in step 2. Give two breaths.
    8. Repeat compressions.
  5. Every so often (about 3 cycles of the breath-compression routine) check breathing and pulse of the victim.
  6. Continue CPR until:
    • You are too tired to continue.
    • The victim revives.
    • The EMTs arrive.

Until then, you are responsible for the victim's life.