Intelligent, sexy, and very talented American film and stage actress. Also well-known for being actor and heartthrob Warren Beatty's wife.

Bening was born in 1958 in Topeka, Kansas. She earned a drama degree from San Francisco State University, and trained further with San Francisco's American Conservatory Theater. In 1987 she was nominated for a Tony Award for her performance in Coastal Disturbances on Broadway.

Following this highlight, Bening turned to Hollywood, appearing memorably in Valmont and Postcards from the Edge. Her outstanding performance as a con artist in 1990's The Grifters won her a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination. It also caught the attention of Beatty, who cast her to star opposite him in Bugsy. By the time the film wrapped their off-screen romance was making headlines, and they married in 1992.

Annette Bening and Warren Beatty have four children, and the self-assured actress relishes motherhood. She has given up juicy roles for each pregnancy, most notably that of Catwoman in Batman Returns. More recent films include Love Affair (with Beatty again, in 1994), Richard III, The American President, and In Dreams. She won a Screen Actor's Guild Best Actress Award, and was nominated for both an Oscar and a Golden Globe for her portrayal of Carolyn Burnham in 1999's acclaimed American Beauty.

(Source for dates and educational background: The Internet Movie Database )