DoB: March 5, 1936
Location: Hollywood, CA

Dean Stockwell will probably be remembered mainly for his role as Al, the hologram in Quantum Leap.
But his career and range goes far beyond that role, to date appearing in more than 120 films and making over 40 guest appearances.

He was born in Hollywood; son of a singer who had lent his voice to Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarves as Prince Charming. Dean began acting at the age of 7 with roles on Broadway, and at the age of 9 he made his debut on screen in 'Anchors Away' (1945) along side Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly.

During his raise to a child star he appeared in numerous films with stars such as Gregory Peck twice in 2 years, Janet Leigh (see Psycho and Tony Curtis) afore mention Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly and Abbott and Costello (Abbot and Costello in Hollywood)
Due to his notable success and talent he was cast as the leading role in The Secret Garden (1949) as the semi-invalid cousin and later friend to Margaret O'Brian (remade for Meet Me in Saint Louis and Jane Eyre fame). As well as the big screen adaptation of Rudyard Kipling's Kim (1950) along side Errol Flynn.

Like many child actors he soon after disappeared from the screen.
That following the example of the majority of his generation of young actor should have been the end, or the beginning of the end of his career.

To give credit where credit is due he reinvented himself magnificently.

Though his first re-appearance was in 1956 as supporting cast in the western 'Guns for Coward' as well as making a few guest appearances on television that year in this still young genre series The Wagon Train (this show was aired for over nine years).
He proceeded to take roles in un-memeborale films. More notable were his repeated appearances on the bludgeoning western television shows and productions such as Twilight Zone, Bonanza and Misson: Impossible amongst others.

After travelling the country he arrived in New York and once again made his way back into the mainstream and the cinemas of America.

In 1959 he was again offered the main supporting role as the genius criminal in 'Compulsion'(1959) along side the venerable Orson Welles.
From this sprang into the adaptation of D.H. Lawrence's classic 'Sons and Lovers' as the son. Seemingly happy without being the leading man he supported Katharine Hepburn in yet another a stellar performance in 'Long Day's Journey into Night' (1962)

His next portrayal was in Pysch-Out (1968) of a hippie drop out next to the appropriately named character 'Stoney' played by Jack Nicholson, the supporting cast also included Bruce Dern (notable for being the father of Laura and for killing John Wayne in 'The Cowboys'(1972)).

For the first few years of the 70's he seemed to develop and interest in the horror/thriller genre but never managed to pull that one off his outings are probably best left unmentioned.
As for the rest of the decade after seeing his horror adventure lacked results he headed into the tough world of police/criminal world.
Notable outings included roles in the TV show 'The Streets Of San Francisco' and Columbo. Much as the horror escapade the films are best left alone. The one memorable role was along side Dennis Hopper in 'Tracks'] (1976) and even that (no offence to Dennis Hopper fans) was not that memorable. As for the others if you really want to know please see the filmography below.

In the 80's after this sad down hill slope things slowly began to look up again. He was given a role in 'Wrong Is Right'(1982) another Sean Connery vehicle. 'The Human Highway'(1982) for the fact that Neil Young was the leading actor; it did also pair Dean up with Dennis Hooper again.
He started to gain steam with his role has Doctor Yeuh in the David Lynch directed production of Frank Herbert’s classic Dune. (1984) gave him the chance to work in the beautiful Wim Wenders film Paris, Texas.

A few years later in David Lynch requested his presence in 'Blue Velvet' (1986).
'87 was a strange year for Dean Stockwell, he appeared in Coppola's 'Gardens Of Stone'(1987) with James Caan and Angelica Huston but he also appeared in Beverly Hills Cop II and in the science fiction thriller 'The Time Guardian' with Carrie Fisher.
1988 brought him to silver screen again in the classic 'Married To the Mob'.

The big leap was indeed 'Quantum Leap' in 1989. He stared in the pilot episode as Al, Admiral and confidant to Dr. Sam Beckett (played by Scott Bakula).
This episode was successful and led him and Scott to the head the series and due to the plot layout they were the only two permanent actors in the series.

From 1990 until 1992 he accepted a voice over role in the cartoon series 'Captain Planet and the Planeteers' as Duke Nukem

Returning again in 1990 to wrok with friend and employer David Lynch he had a stunt in the long running series Twin Peaks. I beleive he was not credited for this role.

Although he also had a supporting role in a marvellous Robert Altman (and Tim Robbins leading) film called 'The Player'(1992) it is not much praise to him since that film was notorious for the fact it included most of Hollywood in the credits.

As much as wish I could praise him for his work in the 90's I find myself unable to do so. He has very few roles in notable productions the few that spring to mind are 'Air Force One' (1997) and 'The Rainmaker' (1997) with Harrison ford and Gary Oldman and Matt Damon and Jon Voight respectively.
Apart from that he has seemingly fallen in to a rut and keeps appearing in TV mini series. To give and idea of the quality I will mention the best ones:

  • Madonna: Innocence Lost - an unauthorised TV movie based on an unauthorised biography. I have seen this and I will give testimony to fact that it is really terrible.
  • The Langoliers - This mini series is the adaptation of Stephen King's book by the same name. I watched all 3 hours of it and I still fell that my time was stolen from me unjustly.
  • Unabomber: The True Story - Is there any need to expand on this?

And so forth until now.
I would like to end on a happier note but unfortunately none of his projects seem to be getting any better.
But he is someone to keep an eye, his career seems to be a never ending roller coaster.


Filmography

N.B. I have included his guest appearances as well, to try to reflect the true extent of this prolific actor.

  • Face to Face (2001)
  • Inferno (2001)
  • Quickie (2001)
  • C.Q. (2001)
  • The Flunky (2000)
  • In Pursuit (2000)
  • Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - (voice) (2000)
  • They Nest (2000) - TV
  • Rites of Passage (1999)
  • Water Damage (1999)
  • What Katy Did (1999) - TV
  • The Venice Project (1999)
  • Restraining Order (1999)
  • It's True (1998) – TV
  • Sinbad: The Battle of the Dark Knights (1998)
  • Popular Science (1997) - TV
  • Close to Danger (1997) - TV
  • Pretty as a Picture: The Art of David Lynch (1997) - TV
  • The Shadow Men (1997)
  • The Rainmaker (1997)
  • The Tony Danza Show (1997) - TV
  • Air Force One (1997)
  • Living in Peril (1997)
  • McHale's Navy (1997)
  • The Last Resort (1997)
  • Midnight Blue (1996)
  • Unabomber: The True Story (1996) - TV
  • Twilight Man (1996) - TV
  • Mr. Wrong (1996)
  • Commish: In the Shadow of the Gallows] (1995) - TV
  • Naked Souls (1995)
  • Deadline for Murder: From the Files of Edna Buchanan (1995) - TV
  • The Langoliers (1995) - TV
  • Madonna: Innocence Lost (1994) - TV
  • The Innocent (1994) - TV
  • Justice in a Small Town (1994) - TV
  • Vanishing Son II (1994) - TV
  • Chasers (1994)
  • In the Line of Duty: The Price of Vengeance (1994) - TV
  • Caught in the Act (1993) - TV
  • Bonanza: The Return (1993) - TV
  • Friends and Enemies (1992)
  • Fatal Memories (1992) - TV
  • Shame (1992) - TV
  • The Player (1992)
  • Son of the Morning Star (1991) - TV
  • Captain Planet and the Planeteers (1990) (voice) - TV
  • Sandino (1990)
  • Buying Time (1989)
  • Limit Up (1989)
  • Quantum Leap (1989) - TV
  • The Blue Iguana (1988)
  • Jorge, um Brasileiro (1988)
  • Palais Royale (1988)
  • Married to the Mob (1988)
  • Tucker: The Man and His Dream (1988)
  • Banzai Runner (1987) Billy Baxter
  • Kenny Rogers as The Gambler, Part III (1987) - TV
  • The Time Guardian (1987)
  • Beverly Hills Cop II (1987)
  • Gardens of Stone (1987)
  • Ecstasy (1986)
  • Blue Velvet (1986)
  • The Legend of Billie Jean (1985)
  • Papa Was a Preacher (1985)
  • To Kill a Stranger (1985)
  • To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
  • Sweet Scent of Death (1984) - TV
  • Dune (1984)
  • Paris, Texas (1984)
  • Alsino y el cóndor (1982)
  • Human Highway (1982)
  • Wrong Is Right (1982)
  • Born to Be Sold (1981) - TV
  • Greatest Heroes of the Bible (1978) - TV
  • She Came to the Valley (1977)
  • A Killing Affair (1977) - TV
  • One Away (1976)
  • Tracks (1976)
  • Won Ton Ton Dog Who Saved Hollywood (1976)
  • The Pacific Connection (1975)
  • Cop on the Beat (1975) - TV
  • Columbo: Troubled Waters (1975) - TV
  • Another Day at the Races (1974)
  • Eadweard Muybridge, Zoopraxographer (1974)
  • The Werewolf of Washington (1973)
  • The Loners (1972)
  • Columbo: The Most Crucial Game (1972) - TV
  • Adventures of Nick Carter (1972) - TV
  • The Last Movie (1971)
  • The Failing of Raymond (1971) - TV
  • Paper Man (1971) - TV
  • The Dunwich Horror (1970)
  • Before Breakfast (1968) - TV
  • Psych-Out (1968)
  • Rapture (1965)
  • Long Day's Journey Into Night (1962)
  • Sons and Lovers (1960)
  • Compulsion (1959)
  • The Careless Years (1957)
  • Gun for a Coward (1956)
  • Cattle Drive (1951)
  • Kim (1950)
  • The Happy Years (1950)
  • Stars in My Crown (1950)
  • Down to the Sea in Ships (1949)
  • The Secret Garden (1949)
  • Deep Waters (1948)
  • The Boy with Green Hair (1948)
  • The Arnelo Affair (1947)
  • Romance of Rosy Ridge (1947)
  • Song of the Thin Man (1947)
  • Gentleman's Agreement (1947)
  • A Really Important Person (1947)
  • Home, Sweet Homicide (1946)
  • The Mighty McGurk (1946)
  • The Green Years (1946)
  • Abbott and Costello in Hollywood (1945)
  • The Valley of Decision (1945)
  • Anchors Aweigh (1945)

  • Guest Appearances

    (dates refer to the first airing date of the original series)

    Sources: Imdb - Filmography. My memory and TV!