Moteuczoma II, also known as Moctezuma Xocoyotzin, ruled the Aztec Empire 1503 - 1520. He was the last great ruler of that Empire.

The gods have come back. Their lances spit fire. Their warriors have two heads and six legs, and they live in houses that float.

Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin, the ninth ruler of Tenochtitlan was born in 1467. He was described in the Codice Mendoza as "wise, an astrologer, versed in all the arts, military as well as others..., in comparison with his ancestors none of whom had as much power or majesty as Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin".

Bernal Díaz del Castillo left a more personal description of him:

He was of medium height, well-proportioned, thin, not very dark...his hair was not long...and his face was somewhat long and happy and his eyes showed on one hand love and, when it was necessary, gravity. He was neat and clean. He bathed once every day. He had many wives.

Accounts of Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin indicate he was very religious and well-versed in the ancient doctrines. This led him to consult the codices to decide if the arrival of the Spanish heralded the return of Quetzalcoatl. He believed it was a sign of Quetzalcoatl's return and welcomed the Spanish rather than immediately chasing them from the land.