The tamaraw (Bubalus mindorensis) is a small water buffalo which is only found on the island of Mindoro in the Philippines. It was first documented in 1888 by Spanish missionaries, although it had little contact with people until the 20th century due to the malaria-infested marshes of its natural habitat.

The survive mostly on a diet of grasses (cogon). Weighing over 300 kg each, they are small but very strong, able to push through dense jungle and climb mountains with ease. Like its larger cousin the carabao, it has a black or slate-colored skin, although its horns point upwards in a V-shape, instead of curving in a crescent.

Although tamaraw were highly abundant before the 1930's, the advent of anti-malarial vaccines allowed settlement of the island, and their numbers dwindled, also due to disease from non-native cattle brought by the new settlers. In the 60's and 70's they were hunted by rich Manilenos with automatic weapons. They are now one of the world's most endangered mammals, with less than 400 tamaraw left, both in captivity and in the wild.

Info mostly from www.animalinfo.org and The Haribon Foundation.
(thing) by Langdon

The Tamaraw FX is a commercialized version of the jeepney, produced and sold by Toyota Motor Philippines as a cheap utility vehicle. In the '80s, the Tamaraw and Cimarron models were open-air affairs scarcely changed from its jeepney ancestor.

Today, the FX has been improved with more SUV-like body and features, and is being used by small taxi services (most individually-owned) carrying up to 10 people in air-conditioned comfort. Some say the FX may someday replace the jeepney, especially if tougher anti-pollution or anti-traffic laws are passed.

Info on the Toyota Tamaraw FX on http://www.toyota.com.ph/autos/tamfx.html.