In Filipino vernacular, to "salvage" someone means to murder them, usually by kidnapping said person, shooting them in the back of the head, and dumping the body a couple of kilometers out of town.

Salvagings are usually committed by criminal elements, street gangs, communist rebels, vigilantes, military personnel, or even local police. A common occurence in rural and urban areas alike. Witnesses to major cases (especially cases brought against powerful politicians or high-ranking officers) have a nasty habit of becoming salvage victims. A favorite of vigilantes would be stringing the bodies up on lampposts, wearing signs that said "Pusher kami, huwag tularan" ("We are pushers, don't end up like us").

The grass lot in front of my high school used to be a favorite dumping ground for salvage victims, especially during the Marcos dictatorship, when I happened to attend classes there. You'd wake up one morning and there'd be a severed human head sitting in front of the school gates, neatly wrapped in a clear plastic bag. Sometimes it'd be an arm or a leg, sticking out of the bushes (hopefully, with the rest of the body attached). It'd gotten so bad that we'd hardly noticed, calmly informing school authorities that this morning, there was another one out there, and could they please clean it up before they start to stink?.

Yes, this is all true. I am not making this up. Ask anybody who's lived under a repressive Third World dictatorship, and rejoice in your good fortune.