A crock-pot ™ is an electric pot used for slowly cooking a meal. They are fairly inexpensive, between $15 and $50 USD. Though not as popular as the microwave, the crock-pot is a necessity in a home where the cook has little time and wants a home-cooked meal. Like the microwave, they don’t heat up the kitchen or require a lot of maintenance. All you have to do is add the ingredients in the morning before you leave, turn on the heat setting required, and when you come home dinner is served! They’re safe and easy and, barring small preparations like the thawing or browning of meat and the dicing of vegetables or fruits, you’re in and out of the kitchen faster than you can say "The Cook’s Reference!"

Food bacteria die at 180 degrees, the crock-pot’s target temperature. By putting foods in an insulated area at a low, but constant temperature, they never boil, making scorching less likely. Plus, because the food stays in such close quarters for such a long period of time, it more easily captures the flavors that can get away in open air. Still not convinced? Just look at what noders have to say about the wonder that is the crock-pot™!

brassmule says: because of the extended period of heat time, however, water is crucial in the process... or you'll dry everything out.
achan says: low heat and long cook times are essential when cooking cuts of meat with a lot of connective tissue and very little fat

What are you waiting for? Buy one now!

Some information gathered courtesy of http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/2001/Oct-03-Wed-2001/living/17073027.html

The official trademarked name for this miraculous invention is "crock-pot," though common usage on the web and in recipe circles is "crock pot."