Have you ever had one of those weeks where life just kind of grabs you by the shoulders and shakes you and then swings you around for a while, just to see what happens? I have, and here's what I've learned:

1. It may take all kinds, but not all kinds like each other. While sitting in Washington Square Park, a man behind us, who had been playing the flute (poorly) to some classical recording that he was listening to on his Walkman, finally got fed up with the large crowd of people that had gathered to watch a group of gymnasts (or something like that) perform a few hundred feet away. So he called some cops over, and he accused the group of having an amplifier, which apparently is illegal in the Park. And the cops went over, and checked things out, and since nothing illegal was going on, they walked away. The man gave them a dirty look and moved a few feet further away. Rather than, say, going home and playing poorly in the privacy and comfort of his own home and using a stereo instead of a Walkman.

2. People are strange. People who watch strange people are even stranger. On the way out of the park, we heard some guy ranting, and ranting, and ranting. About Eminem, no less. And there were these two guys who were standing there, listening to him, and laughing their asses off. And the other guy was just going on about how "Slim Penis Shady" was taking it up the ass from Catholic priests or something. Something about how "Eminem" spelled backwards was "Men In Me". When we heard that, we started laughing our asses off.

3. No matter how smart you are, someone's always dumber. And 9 times out of 10, you get dicked because of it. I got in an accident on Monday. Totally not my fault. I'm stopped, about a car length outside the intersection, and the guy cuts his left turn way too short and dents the driver's side quarter panel and the hood and destroys the blinker lights and the bumper. So we called the cops, and filed a police report. And the cop comes, and asks for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. Unfortunately, Geico never sent a new policy, so I don't have an insurance card. So, the perfectly driveable, if dented, car gets towed because I don't have current proof of insurance. The policy's paid. I just don't have a card. And the insurance company had to fax the information over to the tow place so we could get the car back the next day, because even though the accident happened at 3 in the afternoon, I couldn't pick up the car because the tow place closed at 5 and I couldn't get in touch with my boyfriend until after that point.

4. Fireworks are not cool on a cloudy night. We should have been able to see them from where we were. We could hear them. But it was so cloudy and humid, we couldn't see anything. So instead of watching them live, outside, we watched them on TV. How lame.

Maybe, just maybe, next week will be better. I think I deserve it.