The film:

Original title: The Motorcycle Diaries

Genre: Drama

Duration: 128 min.

Release date (EUA): 2004

Official Site: www.motorcyclediaries.net

Studio: Southfork Pictures / FilmFour / Tu Vais Voir

Productions / Senator

Film Produktion GmbH

Distribution: Buena Vista International

Director: Walter Salles

Script: Jose Rivera, based on the books of Che Guevara and Alberto Granado

Producers: Michael Nozik, Edgard Tenenbaum, & Karen Tenkhoff

Cinematography: Eric Gautier

Production Design: Carlos Conti

Art Direction: Laurent Ott

Costume Design: Beatriz de Benedetto & Marisa Urruti

Editing: Daniel Rezende

If You Haven't Yet Seen the Film;

I don't think that reading this (rather general) summary will reduce the pleasure of seeing the film, because the images of South America and its population are what show the film's soul.

The Summary:

Ernesto Guevara, in 1952, lacking very little to receive his medical degree, decides to travel through South America with his faithful friend, the biochemist Alberto Granado, and a motorcycle. The places they go reveal peoples with strong, harrowing faces and suffering in their gaze. Ernesto is always in solidarity with them and demonstrates a great will to change that which is wrong.

The two friends, in sight of the most famous ruins of Inca Empire, after having witnessed the degradation of this civilization's descendants along the way, feel the destructiveness of Spanish gunpowder.

In the last part of their travels, they stay in a leper colony and revolutionize the place. In the clinic, there was an unnecessary separation of the sick and the healthy; with his honesty and kindness Ernesto is able to improve the life of everyone there. When the friends are ready to leave, they say farewell, and Ernesto sees that he has gained the sincere love of these people.

My commentary:

It's not such an uncommon story, but still, this is an excellent film, because through it one can understand how Che Guevara was born, inside of a simple and morally strong person who decided to live for that which he believed to be greatest: justice.

Awards:

- It received a nomination for the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Film. - It received 7 nominations for BAFTA, in the following categories: Best Film, Best Foreign Film, Best Actor (Gael García Bernal), Best Supporting Actor (Rodrigo de la Serna), Best Soundtrack, Best Cinematography, and Best Adapted Script. - It received 3 nominations for the Independent Spirit Awards, in the categories of Best Director, Best Debut Performance, (Rodrigo de la Serna) and Best Cinematography. - It received a nomination for the European Film Award for Best Non-European Film. - It received an nomination for the Goya for Adapted Script. - It won the Ecumenical Prize of the Jury, at the Festival of Cannes. - It won the Prize of the Public, at the Festival of San Sebástian.