Deep in the heart of Chelsea I was stuffing and stamping envelopes for Gregory, a graphic designer preparing his upcoming belated birthday party out in New York's Restaurant Row. I was mailing out his invitations to everybody I know in the New York City Cabaret Scene. Granted the Friday afternoon radio was pumping nothing but news about the war in Iraq, silence was not an option in the office. I did this since a few days ago, and I've gotten the process to a science - return address stamped, recipient addresses written and envelope sealed. Since I was quite focued on the mailing work, I didn't talk very much. Okay, I did tell him how I like his neighbor - a nice Italian girl living upstairs from Greg's office. We met in Judy's Chelsea a few weeks ago after seeing a show with Greg - his boyfriend was the headliner.

The Double Whammy

The dance club hosting the birthday party had its license revoked. The Fire Department was messing with the local cabarets, especially Don't Tell Mama Piano Bar and Theater. Don't Tell Mama changed its name on the awning because of this. Swing 46, a neighbor in the same street is not allowed to host bands and people dancing on the floor. The place is named "Swing 46," for crying out loud - what am I supposed to do there? Nonetheless, the party must go on.

Judy's Chelsea is probably the only reason I would go to Chelsea. It's a supper club, more in the style of "Arci's Place Lite." If I can afford to have dinner out there before a show, I'm sure to go more often. I remembered seeing Anne Pringle and Mark Burnell, two songwriters and a singer/pianist couple from the clubs of Chicago. I've seen Ruby Rims doing a charity show out there (cover charge is $15 and a teddy bear), featuring my first favorite singer Karen Mason. I'm even planning to see Joan Crowe, a singer who reminisced over Arci's before it suddenly closed last year. Then I found out this:

Judy's is closing in a week.