The HP ScanJet 3C is the first scanner I trusted after I installed Linux in my computer. My first scanner was a parallel port-interfaced ScanJet 5100C, and I was angry over two aspects of it: The tendency for the CCD to break down (I had to replace the 5100C twice!), and my lack of skill for patching parallel port SCSI emulation into the Linux kernel. Unlike the 5100C, this older scanner I'm using in my home office is supported immediately in David Mossberger's GPL'ed scanner software SANE.

The inteface of this scanner is a 50-pin Centronics connector or a 25-pin Apple-kludged SCSI interface.

I call this scanner (and the successor ScanJet 4C) the Cadillac of scanners. Those scanners are large enough to scan legal pads (8.5" * 14"), but I haven't scanned anything that large. I just have the peace of mind for me to do so.

If you want to open up the ScanJet 3C for cleaning, here are the directions:

On the scanner surface, you'll see two metallic pads for the front side of the lid. Push those pads towards the front, and lift them off. You'll see a black screw underneath the pad. You can remove them with a 3/32" star driver or a hex key of the same size.

Remove the scanner's lid by lifting up the lid from the back. You'll uncover two silver screws. Remove them using the same tool you used with the front black screws.

Now the top half of the scanner assembly is ready to be lifted off. You can clean the glass from the underneath. I rather keep the glass together with the top part - it's too much to remove the glass anyways.

Right above the scan head is a ceramic bar stretching the length of the scan head. It's not bolted on or anything, so you can take it off. You can slide it back on above the scan head.

The scan head is covered in metal shielding, and it's held with a plastic lock to keep it in place with the rest of the chassis. Take out the locking piece, and you can move the scan head to dust the underside of the scanner.

Put the scanner back together, and you're done.