I was watching T.V. last night and I came across this advertisement about a drug/energy drink/whatever-they-call-it to fight (or perhaps, to alleviate) the so-called "Techno Stress". I became curious as to what this techno stress is all about so I did some further reading and research on the internet. And these are the things I got...

Techno Stress- coined to describe the feelings of helplessness and anxiety we endure when dealing with computers, fax machines, hi-tech photo copiers and myriad other machines which, we are told, make our lives easier, but which, actually, often frustrate and confuse us, making our lives a misery, increasing our stress levels by putting massive demands on our time and patience. Workers feel unable to cope with new technology and the feeling it is controlling us rather than the other way round. They also feel constantly "on call", unable to relax at home due to laptops, pagers, mobiles and faxes.

Study claims (US research by Doctors Larry Rosen and Michelle Weil) that constant streams of new technology is damaging people's health rather than making their lives more productive. Their four-year study of 3,000 full-time employees, shows widespread adoption of new technology is tempered by a marked reluctance to accept more of the same. Symptoms include irritability, headaches and nightmares, as well as a fear and reluctance to learn about further technology.

Minimizing the effect of techno stress
1.Ensure that you endure as little physical stress as possible whilst working.

    If you work at a screen look away from it every few minutes to change the focus of your eyes - helps to prevent headaches and eye strain.
    Whatever equipment you are using, ensure that you are standing or sitting in the optimal position to operate it, with a relaxed posture, not slumped or slouched - helps to ease back and neck strain.
    Ensure all seating is at the correct height for you - imperative for a good, relaxed posture.

2.Know your equipment
    Your employer should provide adequate training on any equipment you are expected to use. If you don't feel that you have had enough training, ask for some more.
    Read the Manual. All equipment comes with a manual, overly technical and boring as they may be. At least read the 'troubleshooting guide'.
    Compile your own manual of handy hints & tips, or better still get the office 'expert' (there always is one) to do it for you.

3. Identify and cultivate the office 'expert'.
    Who is more competent operating a piece of equipment than you are?
    Seek them out, make them your friend, but be sure to give them something in return for their assistance.

4. Have a back-up plan
    What did you do before you had this labor-saving device? Remember that in the past business was successfully carried out without modern technology.
    Use your initiative to think of other ways of doing things, without technology.

5. Manage your time
    Build in a margin for 'technology failure'.

6. Minimize mental stress
    Take regular breaks (every 45 minutes you should take at least a moment to stop what you're doing, move around and focus your mind briefly on something else.)
    Twice a day spend 5 minutes thinking of absolutely nothing. This really relaxes the mind, and lets you resume work with clarity of thought.
    Keep a sense of humour.

Sources:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_96955.html
http://www.momenta.co.uk/Technostress.html

That's all.