An land-based spellcasting unit available to the Undead in the hit 2002 game Warcraft III

Physical Description: Once powerful wizards, these secretive men deck themselves with a long, horned skull and flowing orange robes with piping of the teams colours, and carry a forked staff that glows yellow when casting their spells. Their attack is a hurled bolt of death, greenish and trailing vapour.

Requirements: Built at: Temple of the Damned, requires: Halls of the Dead, allows: Skeletons

Spells and Abilities: Necromancers start out at Novice rank with the powerful but disabled autocast spell, Raise dead, which turns a nearby corpse in to two Skeleton warriors that last for 40 seconds. This time limit can be further extended by 15 seconds through the Temple upgrade Skeletal longevity. Necro's also gain the adept spell of Unholy frenzy, where a traget unit increases its attack rate by 75% but takes 4 HP damage for 45 seconds. At Master rank, Cripple becomes available. Cripple makes a unit/hero, for 30/5 seconds move 75% slower, reduces it's attack rate by 50%, and causes 50% damage reduction! It has quite accurately been descrived as the UBER slow spell, and can make even the strongest army as weak as kittens, or creeping that much easier.

Gameplay: Necro's are some of the most popular troops in Warcraft III. Teamed up with a meat shield, they can create an instant army out of almost nothing - ANY deaths that occur become two more tenacious warriors for you! However, their usefulness is greatly extended when you use all three spells in unison - cripple your enemies, frenzy your troops and make skellies out of their corpses! Used in conjunction with Banshees, they make potent (if under-skilled) spellcasters. Traditionally starting with Ghouls, but can work surprisingly well with the larger, tougher Crypt fiends, where the natural transition is abominations. Try a few of their other spells - you'll be surprised!



Warcraft III Undead Guide

<<< Gargoyle -- Necromancer -- Skeleton >>>


Information gleaned from:
  • My own lovingly played copy of Warcraft III
  • www.battle.net/war3
  • www.warcraftiii.net
Copyright information is the property of their respective owners.